Signs Your Furnace Needs Replacing
You rely on your furnace to keep your home warm during the frigid winter Canadians anticipate each year. So you want to make sure that your furnace is in good working condition before the temperatures begin to dip.
Average Furnace Life Expectancy
The average lifespan of a furnace is anywhere from 15 to 20 years. In some cases, heating systems can last even longer depending largely on furnace maintenance over the years. It is a good idea to begin paying closer attention to signs of trouble as your furnace ages. Initially, repair may be the best remedy for problems that come up, but as your furnace continues to age, furnace replacement will be necessary.
When to Replace Your Furnace
There are a number of reasons why installing a new furnace may be the best option for you. Since the cost to replace a furnace can set you back, knowing when to replace your furnace is important. Keep in mind that you should never attempt to replace your furnace on your own. Always hire a professional who knows how to replace a furnace.
Here are some signs that your furnace needs replacing:
- High Energy Bills. Gas furnace replacement is not always caused by a faulty heating system. Some homeowners opt to upgrade to a more energy-efficient heating system. Since an old furnace tends to consume more energy and result in a higher gas bill during the winter months, replacing your furnace may be a good financial decision.
- Furnace Needs Constant Repair. Even with routine furnace maintenance, you will still have some furnace repairs that need to be addressed from time to time. However, if your furnace is in constant need of repair, it is time to replace it.
- Reduced Performance. If your home is not sufficiently nor even distributed around your house, there is a defect in your furnace. This may be a good time for a furnace replacement.
- Furnace Produces Strange Sounds. An old furnace will often reveal its age by beginning to make noises. Any rattling, gurgling, squeaking or other kinds of sound coming from your furnace is a sign your furnace is about to give out.
- Signs of Rust. Rust on any part of your furnace—or the area surrounding it—is an indication that there is corrosion on the inside. Rust often signals that the furnace is working beyond its capacity. In this case, it is time to consider a furnace replacement.
It can be difficult to determine exactly when to have your furnace replaced. After all, the cost to replace a furnace deters a lot of homeowners from investing in a furnace replacement. Nevertheless, keep in mind that prevention is the key to maintaining your furnace for a long time. So have your heating system inspected on a regular basis and spare yourself the trouble that accompanies a broken furnace.